Programming and Circulation Assistant
The Alfred Box of Books Library is accepting applications for the position of Programming and Circulation Assistant, approximately 24 hours per week.
Summary of Position
The Programming and Circulation Assistant plans and implements library programs for children, teens and adults and manages the daily operation of the library, performing circulation tasks as required for the successful operation of a service oriented library responsive to community needs.
- Helps establish and maintain a high customer service performance standard.
- Assists library customers in their use of the library.
- Performs a full range of circulation desk duties including but not limited to issuing library cards, checking materials in and out, reserving books, preparing materials for interlibrary loan.
- Assists in training and supervising volunteers and student workers, and assigns appropriate tasks to maintain operations.
- Keeps the collection properly organized through proper shelving and shelf reading.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates programming to meet community needs and provide cultural, educational, and recreational programs for children, teens and adults including summer reading initiatives for children, teens, and adults.
- Works with community experts, coaches, mentors, and community members to build partnerships and provide relevant programs to the community.
- Produces posters, bulletins, displays and other publicity to promote library services and programs.
- Utilizes technology to communicate with community and patrons about programs.
- Participates and attends workshops to maintain knowledge and stay abreast of current trends in library programming.
- Recommends materials for acquisition based on program and patron needs.
- Works on special projects and additional duties as assigned by the Library Director.
Knowledge and Skills
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Applications.
- Knowledge of digital library platforms preferred (i.e., Libby/ Overdrive), but not required.
- Tact, courtesy, and enthusiasm in dealing with members of the public.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience
- Minimum of Associate’s Degree preferred.
- Library experience is not required, but preferred.
- Training provided on the job.
Resumes can be submitted to Melanie Miller, Library Director at email@example.com or mailed to 1 West University Street; Alfred, NY 14802.